Following the discovery of rock salt (at Marbury, near Northwich in 1670) a refinery was set up on the west bank of the Weaver in operation by 1694.
Further salt works were built c1773 replacing warehouses on the old cheese wharf and on open land behind them, presumably in the same area as the earlier refinery. Contemporary maps indicate saltworks to the north and east of Saltworks Farm. No structures remain, but the ground surface to the north-east of the farm is broken and uneven.
(Photo credit: Philip Schofield)