Park donated to the people of Frodsham
One of the main attractions of Frodsham, for those not wanting to shop or eat out, is Castle Park and its beautiful gardens. Situated in the shadow of Frodsham hill, the park has a great history with a large house at the centre. The public park has all the normal facilities associated with parks but with added attractions of an arts centre and gardens designed by Edward Kemp (who also designed Stanley Park in Liverpool). The arts centre occupies what was previously the coach house and is now open to the public. It houses exhibitions throughout the year and runs regular workshops and activities. (Call 01928 735832 for opening times).
Castle Park is an ideal place to spend a relaxing afternoon, experiencing the wonderful exhibitions of the arts centre and taking in the beautiful surroundings of the Edward Kemp gardens.
Castle Park House stands on top of Norman foundations, parts of the original castle were still standing in the C18th. During the C13th, there was a trend towards building oriels as a form of sophistication and expenditure for the 1360's includes building an oriel at Frodsham and this may reflect the transition in role from Castle to manor house. Other works refer to Kitchens, stables and other outbuildings in the castle grounds. The castle could be approached through a gate to the west and abridge on the north side was built
The castle burnt down in 1644 and the building was levelled when Castle Park was built on the site and the gardens landscaped, but fragments of stonework are reputed to exist in the cellars of the present building. Adjacent to the manor were three fishponds. The largest pond was were the car park now stands. The other lay across Chester Road and another under where the railway line now runs. When the railway was built in the pond was removed.
Between April 2005 and March 2006 Castle Park house went through extensive £2.2 million refurbishment to restore it to it's original glory. The project was made possible through funding from the Northwest Regional Development Agency and the European Union.The refurbishment took 15 months, saved the house from dereliction and saw it restored to its former Edwardian glory. Following the successful refurbishment the Council unveiled the carefully restored and renovated building to the public in April 2006 and the Duke of Kent officially opened the House on the 5 October 2006.
The Borough Council entered into two Service Level Agreements with the Castle Park Trust and under the agreements the Council acts as the landlord of the property - collecting rents, advertising and letting office space in the house to small businesses and maintaining the property. The Council also manages the new cyber café and the gardens, bowls pavilion, tennis courts, ornamental gardens and play areas are also be maintained and managed by the Council.